Sunday, June 30, 2013

To Know Him and Make Him Known

This past week has been heavy. The talks and sessions were centered around learning about our sin, things we idolize, and how we refuse to repent and turn from our sin so many times, meaning we choose sin over Christ. One thing I love about Beach Project is how real it is. It differs from a camp setting where lots of emotion and teaching is crammed into one week, with lights and loud bands, and an incredible speaker. Many nights we simply open the Word, and reflect on how Jesus is King, and we are His children. Some nights we get dropped off at the pier, a crowded restaurant, a tourist amusement park, or the beach and evangelize to others. The word “evangelize” has always scared me. Talking to someone I don’t know about such a huge topic terrified me. I would be nervous just thinking about it. One thing that has recently liberated me from years of feeling nervous, anxious or uneasy about “evangelizing” is the verse found in 1 Peter 2:9 that I have been memorizing all summer.

“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation; a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness and into His wonderful light.”

All I simply have to do is declare the praises of the One who has changed my life. That’s it. I am not obligated to give some PowerPoint presentation and wait for a “yes” or “no” at the end of my conversation with someone. “Leading someone to Jesus” doesn’t have to mean a conversion to Christianity. Leading someone to Jesus is simply pointing their attention to Him, directing their thoughts to Him, or informing someone about His glory and majesty. This has dramatically changed how I view evangelism, and how I approach people. All evangelism entails is pointing others to Christ. When I see my heart change from fear to joy when it comes to telling others about the glory of our King, I can’t deny that Christ is real. I want to be a fisher of men and feed His sheep. That’s why I’m here this summer: to know Him and make Him known.

This past week, as we have learned about the specific sin that entangles us individually, my eyes have been open to many things. My heart is broken over my sin. Not just because it’s “bad” or wrong, but because it separates me from the One who has called me out of darkness and into His wonderful light. A few weeks ago we had a Hillbilly Hoedown Social and everyone dressed up as rednecks and country hicks. The costumes were hilarious! It was so funny to see people put pillows in their shirts, wear fake buckteeth, and have boots and cowboy hats on. As children of the King, when we choose sin, we choose to put on a costume. In reality, we are royal priesthoods, sons and daughters of the King. When we choose sin, we choose to dress up as something we are not, a lot like we did the night we wore flannel cut off shirts and bandanas for the social. It hurts to see my sin and it hurts to identify the specific idols in my life. Although it’s painful to recognize sin, it’s essential for growth and necessary in order to see our need for Christ. The enemy wants to deceive us and tell us that our sin will satisfy our desires, when really it satisfies us as long as an ice cube stays frozen on a hot pavement. One of the speakers this past week said something that has stuck with me. “Small sin requires a small Savior. Great sin requires a great Savior.” My need for a great Savior to cover my great sin has shown me that Christ is the only thing that can truly satisfy my heart.  



Pray that my heart will be open to truth and I would have a surrendered spirit.

Pray for Jesus’ strength to replace my weakness...I have a week full of early mornings and lots of hours at Starbucks, and I am exhausted! This week at work, Beach Project is challenging us to start an “Investigative Bible Study” with our co-workers. I am praying for God to help me, Emily and Erin to be lights to our co-workers at Starbucks and to lead us into spiritual conversations with them.  

Pray that I would love my roommates and serve them with joy.

Pray that I would continue to be broken over sin in my life, and desperate for God’s grace and character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment