Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Declared

As we finished our first full week at project, my D-Group and I reflected on our highs and lows last night, and what we learned from the past seven days. A verse I am meditating on and encouraged by is 1 Peter 2:9.

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

My new job as a cashier, barista, drive-thru greeter, and dining room janitor at Starbucks has already taught me many things. There are times where I feel so incompetent when I mess up on the register, mess up yet ANOTHER latte or cappuccino, feel like I'm in the way of the experienced co-workers, or have another customer get frustrated with me. During these times it is easy to feel that I don't "belong", or I'm not even helping, but this verse tells me different. I have the privilege of being a part of a royal priesthood, a holy nation that completely and totally belongs to God. My job in light of eternity is not determined by if I made the best frappuccino or americano, but if I declared the praises of the One who has called me out of darkness.

This week at project, we wrote down our testimonies, and practiced talking about them with partners, and we tried to narrow our testimony down to one sentence. If I only had 30 seconds to talk to someone in passing, or bring up my testimony, what would I say? After practice and feedback, we were able to narrow our testimonies down into one sentence. Doing this reminded me of the darkness I was once in, and how I used to only live for myself. I was reminded of how now I am able to walk in the Light, not because of what I did to deserve that, or because I went to church enough times, or because of all the verses I memorized, but because of the One who so graciously took my punishment and allowed me to walk in His wonderful Light.

I am excited to start another week of a jam-packed schedule: work, one-on-ones, three different training sessions, and fun times at socials! Please pray for my co-workers at Starbucks. I am an employee at a place with many lost people. Pray that they see Christ through me! Also, pray that my focus stays on the Lord and that I don't let any sort of distractions hinder me from focusing solely on Him. Last night was a sweet time of worship, with reminders of the gospel through song!

"When Satan tempts me to despair,
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look, and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin.
Because the sinless Savior died,
My sinful soul is counted free;
For God the just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me."

Your prayers mean so much to me!

1 comment:

  1. Taylor,

    As I am reading your blog I am wondering if I would be able to do my own testimony in 30 seconds or less. As I go throughout my day today I'm going to challenge myself to think about it, because, as you said, you never know when you may have just a short amount of time to share with someone. I believe you have a gift for writing heart-felt and thought provoking devotionals. I look forward to "coming back" over the summer to read and be deepened in my faith because of your writing.

    Much love, Debbi

    ReplyDelete