Sunday, June 2, 2013

Summer

Hello everyone! I never thought I would have a "blog", but I figured this would be a great way to keep friends and family updated on all the things going on in my life this summer! I will be spending two months in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida, interning and learning as a disciple at Summer Beach Project. I found out about SBP through a ministry at Troy called Campus Outreach. After three semesters of hearing incredible stories of how God has used SBP as a tool to transform the lives of my best friends, roommates, and several others at Troy, I began to pray if that would be an option God would want me to pursue. Even if I wanted to, I could not escape conversations or events that mentioned or talked about Beach Project. Back in March, I attended a prayer conference at FBCPC over spring break with my mom, and so freshly heard God's word reminding me that He is my shepherd (Psalm 23) and that He would lead and direct my paths if I agreed to be fully surrendered. Throughout college I have often worried and struggled with the seemingly overwhelming unknown future that awaits me. That weekend was a huge encouragement for me, and began to pave the way to my journey leading up to Beach Project. I sensed the Lord saying to me "Taylor, the harvest is plentiful but the workers are few" (Matthew 9:37). I knew that despite my confusion of what to do with my future post college, ultimately I wanted to be fully equipped to being a laborer and worker for Him, and saw that SBP was a great tool in preparing me to do just that. 

While in Ft. Walton, the 160 college students that are here will find a job, work 40 hours a week (during the day), and will be taught and trained on how to share our faith in the evening and night. A typical week at project looks like this:

Sunday: Church and restMonday: Day off from work and discipleship group at night with your roommatesTuesday: Work during the day, training at nightWednesday: Work during the day, free at nightThursday: Work during the day, training at nightFriday: Work during the day, training at nightSaturday: Work during the day, social/community builders at night

It's day 5 on Project, and I have one word to describe everything: whirlwind! I am living with 4 other girls in a tiny bedroom, so just the fact of my "personal space" abruptly coming to a halt was an adjustment in itself! On day 2, we were sent out to find jobs (Campus Outreach had some jobs available for us, but we had the option of looking for a job that we preferred over the ones that were already available), and that was one long, hot, exhausting and overwhelming day! We put in about 30 job applications, and called several other places inquiring about jobs. After hearing "no" in about 30 different ways, we were tired and discouraged. Our Bible study that we did together that day was based out of Psalms 119. In verse 105, David reminds us that God's word is "a lamp into our feet and a light unto our path". I am so comforted to know that even though that day we were upset about the discouraging news in front of us, our King illuminates the path at our feet and sees the big picture.After a second day of job hunting, I ended up getting hired at Starbucks, only 5 minutes from where we are staying! I will be working with two other girls from beach project.

I am looking forward to seeing how God uses me this summer, even with the role of serving coffee and drinks to the hundreds of people that will come into Starbucks each day! Please pray that I would be fully surrendered to God daily, and that I would desire His will over mine. Another prayer request would be for my co-workers at Starbucks. I haven't met them yet, but pray that as me and the other two girls join the Starbucks team, we would be salt and light to our co-workers, as well as the customers. The Lord is our Jehovah Jireh, He wants to provide for His people! He can mend a broken heart, change a rebellious spirit, comfort the lonely, give joy to the hopeless, rest to the weary, and even cure homesickness! 

1 comment:

  1. Taylor, I know God will use you in a really special way this summer. I look forward to hearing and reading about your experiences. I love you and miss you already! <3

    ReplyDelete